Ramen is the perfect meal at any time of year, but right now when the temperature is below freezing there is nothing better than a warming bowl of delicious ramen. It’s silky from the homemade chicken stock, creamy from the tahini and salty from miso paste. I love this meal because it takes no more than 15 minutes to make. It’s also really good for you – nutritious stock, protein, greens and mushrooms which are a great source of vitamin d. Finally it’s a great meal just to eyeball ingredients, nothing needs to be too specific, and items are really easy to substitute. If you don’t fancy chicken and mushroom ramen swap it out for prawn and edamame, tofu and baby corn etc etc. Chuck a boiled egg on top for extra protein. The combination opportunities are endless. I’m sharing our household favourite here; chicken and shiitake mushroom ramen.
We always do Ramen on a Monday evening after we’ve had a roast chicken dinner on Sunday. I make the chicken stock from the carcass so its rich in vitamins, minerals and fats and we save half of the meat to be shredded and put in the ramen. So if you’re ever having a roast chicken on a Sunday, you absolutely must have Ramen on a Monday!
A quick easy stock method: chicken carcass in a pot filled with cold water, salt, peppercorns, 2 sticks chopped celery, 1 onion + skin, 3 bay leaves. Simmer for 4 hours on very low heat.
Prep & Cook time: 15 minutes
- ½ COOKED ROAST CHICKEN (or whatever you fancy – prawns, tofu, beef)
- SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS (approx. 120g)
- CHESNUT MUSHROOMS (approx 100g)
- 2 SPRING ONIONS
- CHOY SUM (or whatever leafy green you prefer – rainbow chard, pak choi, spinach)
- x2 NESTS OF EGG NOODLES
- 1 RED CHILLI
- 2 CLOVES GARLIC
- 2CM PIECE OF GINGER
- 2 TBSP TAHINI
- 1 TBSP MISO PASTE
- 1 TBSP SOY SAUCE
- 2 TBSP RICE VINEGAR
- 700ml CHICKEN STOCK (optional sub for veggie stock)
- CHILLI OIL
- Put noodle nests in boiling water and cook according to instructions.
- Chop mushrooms and greens, shred the chicken and set aside.
- Combine the chilli, garlic cloves, ginger, tahini, miso paste, soy sauce, coriander stalks and rice vinegar in a blender and blitz into a chunky paste. Put coriander leaves to one side.
- Add a little oil to a pot and simmer paste for 2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Throw in veggies and chicken and make sure chicken is fully heated back up (approx 3-5 minutes).
- Add the noodles to the broth, thinly slice spring onions and chuck them in.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle with coriander leaves. Chilli oil drizzled on top is optional but recommended for an extra kick!
Made this on Monday and it’s absolutely delicious. Great mid week dinner as it’s easy, nutricious and comforting. Also served it with Meera Sodha’s recipe for soy eggs which is just perfect for ramen.
ahhh the soy eggs sound so yummy! glad you enjoy 🙂